Shibuya; Apple & Disney

So I messed up my last post because I'm a stupid American. Yesterday I went to SHINJUKU to get my insurance. TODAY I went to Shibuya. Augh, I learn this stuff eventually.

Any ways I took 80+ photos so I'm going to use very minimal text because I have enough photos to explain everything. Waseda didn't plan anything for me today but JCAT so that's the only thing I'll go in-depth on.

My morning in the lounge. I watched a Japanese dub of Bewitched.... what



I thought it was flan but it's a layer pudding/cake!



Had to look up directions to Shibuya's Apple store... Google translated the site.
Do not be part of Apple.

Bewitched... who even watches this in the States??
Headed to NASIC's office to drop off my dorm contract and application form.
Saw this building... still dunno what it is.

Apparently Kyuubi is on the 2nd floor...

...Kind of got lost. Multiple times. NASIC gave us a map that was backwards and NOT to scale. Way to go. -__-

Found it! It's just a pink hole in the wall the size of my room.

This bakery was right next door to NASIC... SO CUTE!!!
I got a cream puff and Joanna got a Waseda swiss roll and something else haha.

When I bought my puff, the two front cashier girls thanked me AND the baker inside came out to thank me.


Kawaii pankin desu yo neeeeeee

We found a "drug store" while we were lost to NASIC and HOLY GODS I BOUGHT MOSQUITO STUFFS.
Green box is my pastry. Also Clayton and Julian... I don't see why you guys were freaking out about
BOSS coffee.... maybe I need to try something that's not silky drip? Tastes like any old coffee to me.

My first point/rewards card! I got it at LAWSON.
Even the point cards have adorable mascots.

My puff.... IT CAME WITH A MINI ICE PACK.
stop being so thoughtful Japan

Why do I look uncomfortable? I was actually really happy hahah.
So after my long adventures in the morning, me and Joanna went back home for a snack and a break before we headed back out to the SILS building (#22) for J-CAT testing.

Room where we took J-CAT
 So my J-CAT testing was assigned for Friday at 1PM. Everyone has their own designated time and day and I think they ordered it by last name. The room is very mildly AC'd, so after rushing upstairs it felt kind of hot still. The computers look kind of old school but they're running Windows 7.

We received a paper with all the necessary log-in information and then there is space on the side to write your scores and a score guide to see what level you are. There are 8 levels total and this is kind of how you are scored:

J-CATProficiency LevelJLPT 日本語能力試験
-100Basic初級Level 4
100-150Pre-Intermediate中級前半Level 3
150-200Intermediate中級
200-250Intermediate-High中級後半Level 2
250-300Pre-Advanced上級前半Level 1
300-350Advanced上級
350-Near Native日本語母語話者相当
    I say "kind of" because our scoring was specifically tailored for Waseda's Japanese classes. As you can see the J-CAT testing technically only has 7 "levels" but mine had 8. The cut off for level 3 for Waseda's test is 171-200 and I just BARELY made it (as in I got 171). I have been studying Japanese for 3 years formally with this being my 4th year of study and the testing was fairly difficult, HOWEVER, the last time I touched Japanese was in May so it has been 4 months since I have practiced Japanese. I don't really have anyone to practice Japanese with back home so I forgot a decent amount in that time I probably could have got into the 4th level bracket (201+) if I was fresh from classes, studied for the test, and was familiar with the test format. It seemed almost unfair because the formatting is so different from what anyone was used to. I heard from a lot of people and have experienced myself that the timing for the vocabulary section was horrible. They give you about 45 seconds (may have been less/more can't remember) and will have a line that's directions in Japanese then maybe a simple sentence in Japanese with kanji and then you need to pick the sentence that has the same meaning to show your understanding of the word. There are several different question types in all 4 sections of the test. I timed out on one of the questions in vocab and guessed on quite a few simply because I ran out of time. From my advanced friends that scored a 5, they told me they did a lot of guessing and got timed out a lot as well so don't worry too much about that.

    One of the reasons why J-CAT is praised as the best test of Japanese language proficiency is because it is adaptive (hence Japanese-Computerized Adaptive Test). If you ever took reading proficiency tests in elementary, middle, and/or high school in the States you will know what I mean. Basically the test will adjust itself based on the which answer you chose. So you can tell if you chose the right answer because the next question will be significantly harder and more complicated. If you screwed up and chose the worst possible one then it will be significantly easier.

    I scored highest in listening and grammar. I always knew my listening was my strongest but I was shocked for grammar. That's one of the things that I doubt and question the most in terms of my Japanese abilities. My worst by far was vocabulary which was shameful really. My reading wasn't too bad and was a bit lower than my listening and grammar. Joanna had studied the night before the J-CAT and she just kind of reviewed some Japanese books. I wouldn't be too concerned about studying for it though. Even though it has been a while since I studied Japanese, your score will not differ too greatly (unless you're the kind that actually forgets EVERYTHING after a few months) because your "core proficiency" I guess won't change too much. I think everyone has a good idea of their level already and this test is just kind of a ballpark of that. I am still unsure whether or not we can only take courses in our J-CAT level but I feel like I would do fine in a level 4 course.

    I know some people are disheartened by the score that they received because it is out of 8 levels and our grades (at least in the States) are so inflated that those who really are "average" in a certain subject still get As and Bs instead of a C. So even though I got a 3, it is considered intermediate, which is about where I am at. If you think about it in "how many years you have studied Japanese" the scoring will probably make more sense. I completed 3 years of formal Japanese study so getting 3 is only natural. I am hoping after I complete my semester here I will hit level 4 without fail. So if you get a "lower" number, don't be too disappointed. 

    Also remember that your friends that scored higher have probably studied for a longer time than you. There is an Italian girl that sounds like a native speaker and holds intricate conversations with the dorm leaders and caretaker and she is a graduate student. A lot of people I know are older than me and I have only met 1 exchange student younger than me (I am 21). And think about the circumstances of your study. Joanna has completed 4 years of Japanese study and her friend is native Japanese so she has someone to practice with all the time and she barely made a 5. Half of Anne's family is Japanese and there is another Lily (well her full name is Lillian but some people call her Lily because it's easier to say) and she came from a Hawaiian university (which have the best and most intensive Japanese program in the States) and she's studied for... 4 yrs? I think haha. And her family is native Japanese and she scored lower-middle 5. Another American named Michael scored a 3 like me but he got 200 so he was almost level 4 and he has also completed 3 years of Japanese study like me.

    So yeah... don't beat yourself up! If you get above a 2 you are out of the "beginner" zone so anything above 3 is good really because it's a JAPANESE 3, not a 3 from an American or an Australian university if you know what I mean.

    If you have any questions about the J-CAT you can ask me or check the website here:


    http://www.j-cat.org/
    Freedom!

    You ever heard of Japan's intense waste/recycling program? Yeah. Errywhurr.

    One of the roads at Waseda University... so gorgeous... and cool!
    The trees probably grow fast here because of the sun and humidity.


    I *think* this is construction for the new WISH international dorms.
    Though I may be wrong and it may just be a classroom building.

    Roundabout next to Okuma Hall

    impossible is nothing

    Saizeriya! The place I went to my first night here with the dorm leaders. Basically: Japanese Denny's.

    One of the entrances leading to the Hoshien international dorms

    Okay so these signs are everywhere in neighborhoods. It says "Someone is watching"
    and I asked one of the Japanese students and her explanation made it sound like
    the Japanese version of "Neighborhood Watch" in America.
    Basically, dont do anything stupid because someone will see you and report you. 

    I dropped by the 100 yen shop after the test. Got some necessary items
    and I bought some souvenirs for my friends back home.

    I decided to "cook" for lunch and finally eat my Pokemon curry!

    OKAY SO I THOUGHT I WAS TRIPPING BUT THE STOVE TALKS.
    It is completely electric touch-screen and computerized! So high tech!
    The North Wing has gas stoves which you can also use if you don't like these.

    It tasted like Pikachu.

    Now Joanna and I head off to Nishiwaseda Station to go to Shibuya!

    Japanese... middle schoolers? High school?

    Dropped by 7/11 and this was their ichiban kuji (prize lottery).
    No Pokemon... maybe next time!

    Found it!

    I'm not Asian what are you talking about.

    Someone I always look bored, tired, or annoyed when I am none of the above..

    On the train! Camwhoring!

    We dropped by the Tokyu department store for Joanna!

    If you couldn't tell... Japan is losing it over the Olympics.
    Tokyu was split up into different sections such as this "Food Show"


    Outside Shibuya station.... PEOPLE

    A completely different Tokyu entrance called "Shibuya Crossing"
    Sorry for the blur, I feel rude standing in the middle of a crowd trying to snap a photo!

    I love seeing trees in places like these



    The famous Shibuya Crossing! There's the Starbucks with the nice view over it!
    I actually didn't even realize I was crossing THE Shibuya Crossing. Even though it is so famous
    it just feels like any other crosswalk. And come on, you can only be so excited about a crosswalk.
    It was cool but I wouldn't call it the highlight of my trip hahah.
    Domo bus!
    I'm surprised Joanna wasn't annoyed with me stopping a 1000 times being a tourist.

    We got lost finding the Apple Store because my directions from Google were hard to follow without GPS, street names, or notable landmarks. Eventually asked around and someone finally knew!
    She said go straight until you hit まるいの角.
    Because people speak so fast it can get hard to follow what they are saying and both of us thought it was a street or something until Joanna was being a smart person and realized she said the "round corner", not "marui no kado" as in a street. Good think she came with me!

    Got a little more lost until I looked up and was like "Oh here it is!"
    It is the same as any other Apple Store except I've never been to one that
    has two floors. There is a glass staircase in the background that led to the 2nd
    floor which was the Genius Bar and all the accessories.

    I finally got my Ethernet/LAN to Thunderbolt adapter. I am enjoying my uninterrupted
    super fast internet :D Can't wait to Skype my Mom and Dad
    "DISNEY STORE?! Can we go in Joanna?!"
    "Yeah, sure!"
    She's so nice and agreeable XD
    I feel bad dragging her around!

    I wonder how many dreams, magic, and fairy dust it took to make this building?






    BABY DISNEY CHARACTERS. LOOK AT PERRY. JUST LOOK AT HIM.

    God it was so hard not to leave with her. Like you have no idea.
    She was only 2500JPY/25USD, which is about the same price for plush in American
    Disney stores. She was in clearance too so 30% off more!

    It's hard to capture magic on camera but this was a dark section with glowing stars on the wall and Tinkerbell!

    SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO CUTE!
    I thought about getting the little vampire Stitch but it was like 1200JPY/12USD!


    I didnt take photos of it but there was an Alice in Wonderland themed hall with the crooked wall lights and there was a trippy pink to checkered staircase leading down to it.

    We tried to find something to eat but to no avail. Neither of us have been here before so we were lucky we found all the stores that Joanna and I needed to go to! We went into this department store because it seemed like there was a food court but it was just a food marketplace, so like a farmers market. Whoops.

    My mom's favourite

    heading back to Shibuya Station

    Inside Shibuya Station


    Heading home. I heard a lot of English at the station so I guess it's good their signs and warnings are bilingual.

    This is what construction looks like in Japan. The guy standing in front of the light up sign is mechanical and waves his arm to direct traffic. So cute.

    Gas station on the way to our dorm. Their nozzles hang from the ceiling which is very different but space saving.

    KITTY

    She kept crying and seemed like a stray. I need to buy some kitty treats to give
    all of the cats that I see on the street!

    Dropped by Family Mart before coming home because I didn't wanna go out again.

    This is what my tote looks like after I've taken a shower. Dirty clothes in the small basket.

    The whole reason for going to Shibuya... FINALLY
    It cost me 2800JPY/28USD, which is slightly cheaper than in the States
    and because there is no tax applied.
    Everything is so fancy and stupidly convenient! Yummy Oyakodon.
    Also all the chopsticks come with a toothpick!

    Sorry for the long post still but hopefully I did reduce the amount of text. I'll try to do posts like this with more photos and less text in the future. I don't have much planned for today except there is a festival tonight and I will Skype my parents so time to kick back! I may go to the local Game Center and try to win some Pokemon though! Until tomorrow!

    0 comments:

    Copyright © 2013 早稲田大学に行きましょう and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.