JapanJapanJapanJapanJapan Visa

I've been meaning to update this blog for a while but I try my best not to post too many entries before I've arrived in Japan. I have already hit the "hard to sleep" out of excitement phase which sucks because I don't leave for another two months.

Got my physical packet from Waseda a week ago... they really cut it closer than I would like. Out of all the Japanese universities Waseda is apparently the only one who has sent their physical packets according to my study abroad advisor. Inside was my Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that I have to send to the Denver Japanese Consulate and then I'll finally have my visa. I heard their turnaround time is within a week so Waseda probably counts on that as their excuse for delayed packets. Somehow Denver does not charge a fee for obtaining a visa but my advisor told me to include a prepaid shipping envelope because 1- they don't want to pay for shipping 2- you can buy expedited for a little more so your passport's not in limbo.

Something else I received from Waseda-- my dorm information! They sent it to me in an email and well, I had a bit of a scare with that. They had sent me my check-in/out dates along with the typical rules, etc. and my check-in date was 09/12! 3 days after I arrive! Nonetheless I was having a bit of a panic attack, freaking out to everyone saying I'm going to be homeless in Japan. The reason I had to schedule my flight so early (09/08, arrive 09/09) was because of the free "limousine bus service" (it's just a long travel bus, kind of like Greyhound but hopefully nicer) Waseda provides from Narita airport to the university. You have to arrive at a specific time (I think it was before 4PM for the afternoon one and it leaves at 6 or something to give room for intl flight delays) in order to be allowed to catch the bus. Hence why I was freaking out so badly. I mean Waseda demands I arrive at these times if I want the bus and then they don't let me check in until 3 days later?! I emailed them back and it unfortunately took a few days for me to receive a response, which did nothing to help my nerves. But when I finally got the email they apologized saying they got the wrong check in dates. They also said that they double checked with the SILS coordinator and confirmed I'm finished in February... even though I received a forwarded email from the coordinator saying I was done in March... Welp.

Anyways, my dorm information. I will be staying at


早稲田大学 留学生寮 南棟・北棟Waseda University Student House South Wing / North Wing

外観 exterior(outside)

住所 Address

〒169-0051
東京都新宿区西早稲田2-8-35
2-8-35 Nishi Waseda Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 169-0051
早稲田キャンパスから徒歩7分7 min. walk from Waseda Campus



The South Wing thankfully!

layout

Here's my room! The north wing has smaller rooms... like WAY smaller rooms (see below... so cramped!)

layout

but luckily I got the south wing. It'll run 60,000Y a month and utilities are 6,000Y. Really not bad for Tokyo with such a spacious room too. Unfortunately I didn't get my first pick, which is the one everyone wants, the International Student House with your own showers and is somehow cheaper than my current dorm. Thank god I have my own bathroom though, otherwise I think I might cry hahah. Ultimately my bare necessities were a single dorm and a toilet and I got both so I can't complain. I heard the communal showers are fine and my entire dorm building is single rooms. I believe they're supposed to be split a gender a floor but I guess I'll find out. I also read on another blog (jessieinjapan) that the Waseda University Student House dorms generally have a mini fridge! I really hope they do and they just didn't care to update the website cause I would hate to have to go to the kitchen and use the shared fridge... especially if there is a thief on the floor. Also my room is so stupidly spacious a mini fridge should be required to take up space hahah. I also heard there's a little shoe cubby in all the rooms now too.. Here's hoping.

I'm actually going shopping today with my mom to buy stuff for Japan (like new shoes, medium sized messenger bag--she's paranoid I'll get pick pocketed, etc). I had only planned on bringing my iPad with me because I no longer have a laptop, but after Waseda informed me that they got my dates wrong (I'll be done in February not March... big mistake much?) I'll have more money leftover from my scholarships for personal use, which led me totg wanting to purchase a MacBook Pro before I leave. I originally planned on just using the library computers but libraries eventually close and well... I am a heavy procrastinator. My iPad can do most things but it is still considered a mobile device so sometimes it's difficult or impossible to upload certain file types and download them. I am giving myself some time to think about it so I don't make an impulse buy, but if I don't get the MBP, I have 1800$ USD/ PER month of personal use money... I don't think anyone needs that much hahah.

I dunno when my next update will be but if anyone has questions about the process for studying abroad feel free to leave it in the comments.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 早稲田大学に行きましょう and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.