Harajuku and Meijijingu Shrine

Since our plans to Harajuku didn't pan out the day before, Joanna, Anne, and I went today instead. First Joanna and I headed to Lawson, a local convenience store, to grab some quick breakfast.

Found this inside Lawson. Apparently this cheesecake is elusive.
 I didn't take a picture of my food because it wasn't particularly exciting or special. I had tuna bread with a meat sauce spaghetti. Probably horrible for my health. I've decided to cut out all "Japanese drinks" like the sweet juices and whatever and sticking to sugarless tea and water because I feel like I had gained weight here and it's only been like 9 days, despite all the walking I'm doing. Unless somehow humidity plays a part in this..?

Then we met up with Anne and headed out to Takadanobaba to revisit the bank that was closed yesterday. Turns out, yes it really was closed the other day because a whole other area opened up when we went again.

Okay so I brought a portion of my money over in Traveler's Cheques/Checks and for whatever reason I could hardly find any information on where to cash them and how long the process takes. I heard from a friend of mine that it was a lengthy process, taking upwards of an hour and even longer while my "internet research" told me they are accepted at a variety of places and is painless. Finally after my own pleasant experience I can give more information to those considering using Traveler's Checks to transport your money.

I went to to the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ by Takadanobaba station. I'm unsure if they are affiliated with the car company, but that doesn't really matter. This is what their logo looks like:


Exchange rates in USD

Right when you walk in there should be a small podium with an attendee. You need to go to them first as they will assess which window you need to go to and hand you a paper ticket. After that you sit down and wait for your number to be called. In this particular branch of this bank that I went to they had a Foreign Currency Exchange window with the sign written in English (as seen in the photo above) which was very helpful. I can read an OK amount of kanji but comprehension, reading ability, and all that kind of shrink away or disappear when you're nervous and confused.

The entire process was really straight forward. I went up and put my Traveler's Cheques/Check into the little plastic bin my banker put on the table and she grabbed a paper form for me to fill out. All I had to write was my name, address, phone number, and the amount of money I was exchanging. So really easy stuff. Just remember to fill out the little yellow "emergency contact info" card that Waseda will give you in your SILS binder and carry it around with you in case you can't memorize a Japanese address and phone number. (And to clarify, this yellow emergency card is not required to be filled out but obvious nice to have on you for essential information in a foreign country should you lose your way or have a medical accident).

After I filled the form, the banker took my Cheques/Checks and form and had to confirm something with the Traveler's Cheques/Check. I think because they are so secure, the Cheques/Checks are linked to my name and American contact information so I *believe* they need to confirm with American Express that they are indeed mine. I didn't ask so I'm not sure, though she never once asked me for an ID.

Then when she came back and confirmed the checks, she had me sign all of them, took them again, and after maybe 3-5 minutes came back with a copy of the form I filled with the exchange rates and how much money in JPY I will receive. She also asked me if I was okay with the exchange rate before giving me the money. This entire process took maybe 10-15 minutes. It was a very quick transaction, considering I had to wait like 3-5 minutes just for the person in front of me to finish.

All in all I wouldn't be too concerned with cashing Traveler's Cheques/Checks, especially in Tokyo. I think they have enough foreigners that it's not really a problem.

So after I got my money, we headed off to the station to go to Harajuku.

Got a nice window seat inside the train
I wanted to come to Harajuku not only to check it out but I was hoping I'd be able to buy a few clothes.... However, most of the stores are catered to feminine and I mean GIRLY clothing, not just clothes for females. Frills, ribbons, pink, everything. The clothing styles didn't even work for Joanna and Anne's styles. Then the "male" clothing didn't fit my tastes either. It's just very different from what I wear. Also I am concerned how they would fit my strange frame.

Also, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but there was so much bootleg merchandise. People generally have the idea that Japan is good about bootlegs but Harajuku is riddled with them. Hats that say "DOPE" or are expensive American brands are totally bootlegged. Brands like OBEY and others that are popular with KPOP celebrities and the like.

Right out of the train station

It was quite crowded
There were a lot of American chains like Wolfgang Puck, McDonalds, Clarie's, GAP, Forever 21, H&M, and American Eagle to name a few. Though if I wanted to shop at those places I would just go back to America. I only want to buy clothes that I clearly can't buy any where else but Japan. Maybe if I go to the 12-story flagship UNIQLO in Ginza...

There was a 4-story DAISO and... they had everything
I felt kind of cheapy considering we went to Harajuku and I only came back with items from DAISO. You'll quickly learn that 100JPY stores are your best friend. You actually get quality products for less, though in the bigger stores not everything costs 100JPY.



It was so huge.... There are no 4-story dollar stores in America. And even then they'd sell really cheaply made products.
This bag is AWESOME, did you know?
Yeah I dunno
I WANTED TO BUY THIS JUST BECAUSE ITS SO HILARIOUS
Costume store? Surprisingly cheap considering how ornate they were.
 So it was about this point where one of the many black men on the street tried to stop me and asked where I'm from and if I could shake his hand. Back home I'm notorious for being the naive, friendly, unassuming one of our group and so I told him I'm from California and shook his hand.

Big mistake.

He didn't grasp my hand tightly but he just kept holding onto my hand to lock me in so I couldn't just walk away. So don't think they will hurt you, they won't, they're just trying to keep you there so they can sell you stuff. But yeah so he kept trying to talk to me and was trying to sell me all this bootleg shit and I was like no, no I'm okay thanks and basically walked away as fast as I could. Joanna and Anne saw it happen I think but they were looking at a store when I walked away so we got separated for a bit. Only Anne has a cellphone out of the 3 of us so it was like 5 minutes before we found each other again. I just kept walking forward to avoid the salesman, but I got too far ahead and Joanna was freaking out thinking that I got kidnapped. When we re-grouped they scolded me for being too friendly and that all those people talk like that to try and get you to buy their stuff. Well lesson learned.

Though I am still unsure why 85% of the people on the streets trying to trap people and sell things are African men... I feel like they appear much more intimidating in a sea of thin, lanky Japanese people, but I guess that also makes them stand out? I really don't know, I just never want to experience that again.

Took this psychedelic photo while running away from the salesman
I don't know what's the deal with Japanese people and Furbies 
Various American products... including a Michael Jackson figure at the end (left)
3
Doesn't the one with the glasses look like me? Anne decided she's the white one with the moustache

Random store with cutesy monster mascots

One of those bootleg stores. Video of G-Dragon from BIGBANG (KPOP group) and some bootleg KPOP merchandise (bootleg as in stickers, posters, brand name hats the artists wear, and stuff like that but not bootleg CD/DVDs)
I didn't realize this store specialized in KPOP stuff, otherwise I would have gone in to take a look. 
Even pets need fashion in Harajuku

Now entering the womb

Psychedelic mirror sculpture... reminds me of the bean thing in Chicago
Dropped in for some lunch! You buy your meal ticket at this vending machine... everything is just vended in Japan I swear
Anne recommended this Tsukemen restaurant two floors underground. I couldn't even tell where it was because the entrance was so tiny and hidden. At least that also meant it wasn't crowded.
Asians

Regular Tsukemen dish
So I had never had Tsukemen before and didn't realize that the translation is "dipping noodles" so when he first brought out my dish I just started eating the noodles. I thought the soup was a side dish. But no, tsukemen is when you have (usually cold) noodles and a hot broth and you just dip the noodles in. Because of the type of noodles, they hold the broth in well and you just slurp! It is really really tasty and perfect for summer. It cost me 780JPY.

Also for a while a kept calling Tsukemen Ikemen (attractive male) and Joanna kept laughing at me. I'm slowly trying to remember the proper name.

CREPES
 There were a TON of crepe shops just down this tiny road in Harajuku... so much competition. We really wanted to get one but after tsukemen we were pretty full.

We were pretty much finished with the shopping area so we headed back to Harajuku station and went to the Meijijingu Shrine.

Anne

Anne..

..what are you doing?
 This shrine was unbelievably huge. Like not huge just for Japan but huge even for America.
Anne photobombing


so gorgeous


Sake wall


All 3 of us did the washing ritual. I think I did it wrong, even though there are directions in English.. water felt great though!


Shop selling fortunes and good luck charms




Boards with peoples wishes written on them


I bought a Good Fortune blessing for my dad and a Good Health/Joy blessing for my mom. Afterwards we went to the shrine gift shop and bought some tea and sweets for Aya, because she is so kind to us. Then we hit the shrine's cafe.

Melon soda ice cream float! So good!
 However, because it was so cool and like a creek or lake or something ran through the shrine, the mosquitoes SWARMED the cafe. Walking around I don't think I got bit but when we sat down I got bit EIGHT TIMES. EIGHT. I even caught one as it was still sucking my blood. It's belly was red because it took so much of my blood augh. I flicked it away, but after so many bites that's the first time I've ever seen it happening. I also had my left foot out of my shoe for like 3 minutes and I now have 5 excruciating and annoying bites on my left food. There's 3 on my left arm. Anne and Joanna also got bit, but I don't think as many times. We quickly finished our treats and ran.

The yellow and red bags are the charms for my parents. Everything else from DAISO. 
Now I have this awesome sign on my dorm door!

The markers are a bit shoddy but that's what I get for paying 100JPY for one. Sorry this post was so late... I'm trying my best to keep up with these blogs I swear! Augh now to go and rip all of my skin off... damn mosquitoes.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 早稲田大学に行きましょう and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.